Workplace"Workplace" describes the Autotask Workplace service in its entirety. offers a file locking mechanism to avoid overwriting changes when multiple users access the same file simultaneously.
A file can be locked manually at any point, or will become locked automatically when starting to edit a Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint file.
If you forget to lock the file, or are unable to lock the file (for instance, you do not have an Internet connection), and someone else edits the document simultaneously, then the first person to save the document will create a new version of the master document. The other user(s) that were simultaneously editing will have their saved versions appended with their names.
This mechanism ensures data will never be lost, however you may need to merge two or more documents if users forget to lock the files or be offline while editing.
File auto-locking will only function if the file has been synced to your device. If you do not wish to sync the file, we recommend that you manually lock the file within Workplace Online first.
There are four ways to lock files in Workplace, depending on how you access your files:
This method requires Office 2003 or later and the latest version Workplace Desktop.
By default, Microsoft Office auto-locking is enabled (refer to Enabling or Disabling the Microsoft File Locking Plugin (Windows Only)), which will cause any Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint files to be locked automatically when a user begins editing a file located within the Workplace folder.
If Microsoft Office auto-locking fails to function as expected, follow the steps in this Troubleshooting article: Why isn't Microsoft Office auto-locking on Windows working?
- Log in to Workplace OnlineWorkplace Online is the web portal that users within a team can use to access their data and administer their team..
- Go to Projects or to your DashboardThe dashboard is an integrated, intelligent overview of all your recent project activities in Autotask Workplace..
- Navigate to the file you want to lock.
- Right-click the file and select Lock:
- View the file within Workplace MobileWorkplace Mobile is the Workplace application designed specifically for the various mobile platforms, providing access to Autotask Workplace..
- Tap the Actions button.
- Select Lock.
Auto-locking can be switched on for mobile devices from within Settings. When this feature is enabled, files will be automatically locked when editing starts and unlocked when editing is complete.
|Forward this topic to others|