All users with Modify, Create & Modify, or Full Access permissions to files
Workplace Online > Projects
Workplace Online > Dashboard
This feature requires the Workplace Desktop 5.1 or later to be installed and the account associated with the Workplace Desktop app must match the account being used via Workplace Online.
Local editing allows you to open files locally, within the associated application on your computer, without having to sync the file to your computer first. Once the file is opened using this feature, saving the file will automatically update the version on Workplace OnlineWorkplace Online is the web portal that users within a team can use to access their data and administer their team..
This means that projects don't have to be synced to the machine before they can be edited, while ensuring the updates are automatically pushed back to the Workplace"Workplace" describes the Autotask Workplace service in its entirety. service. This is particularly useful with large or infrequently used projects - rather than clogging the computer with files that you don't need on a day-to-day basis, the files within the project can easily be updated via the local editing feature. This feature allows you to work entirely from within Workplace Online without ever having to sync a project to your local machine.
File auto-locking will only function if the file has been synced to your device. If you do not wish to sync the file, we recommend that you manually lock the file within Workplace Online first.
Local editing also means that you will not be restricted to Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files. As long as your computer recognizes the file type and can open it, you can edit to locally.
To configure local editing, refer to Desktop Integration.
- Login to Workplace Online, using the same credentials associated with the installed Workplace DesktopAlso known as the Workplace Desktop app, and in the context of this documentation, simply "the app," Workplace Desktop is the software installed on a computer that is responsible for synchronizing data between the local drive and the cloud. 5.1 or later.
- Navigate to the file you want to edit locally.
- Click Open.
- Select the device, then click Open.
- The file will be locked, downloaded, temporarily stored on your local drive and opened in the application associated with that file type on your computer.
- Within Workplace Online, a lock icon will be displayed, indicating that the file is locked.
- Edit your file.
- Save your changes.
In your operating system, in the top-right corner, a notification will appear showing the file open for editing and provide the option to Finish.
In addition to this notification, the icon (in the taskbar / menu bar) will continuously switch between the regular Workplace icon and the editing icon to denote you have an active editing session.
The notification pane can be closed at any point by simply clicking on it and the session can alternatively be closed via the Workplace menu.
Clicking Finish will save the last cached version back to Workplace, close the connection, and release the lock.
- Click Finish.
The last saved version is copied back to Workplace! Therefore, it is imperative to first save, then click Finish.
|Forward this topic to others|