All users (if two-factor authentication is required for your login)
Workplace Online > Settings link > Two-Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication may also be referred to as 2FA or two-step verification.
Although Google Authenticator is referenced, you may use any TOTP (Time-based One-time Password algorithm) application, such as Authy or Duo.
2FA is a security process used to confirm the identity of an authorized user, which (in the case of Workplace"Workplace" describes the Autotask Workplace service in its entirety.) consists of two authentication factors:
- Knowledge factor: Workplace username and password
- Possession factor: Either Google Authenticator (recommended) or a SMS (text message)
Authentication by two independent factors decreases the risk of an intruder gaining access to and stealing your personal data or identity.
- Click Two-Factor Authentication in the Settings area:
- Select the authentication method you want to use.
We recommend that you use of Google Authenticator. It is more is more reliable and secure because the 6-digit PIN code (the second authentication factor) is not transmitted over any network. Therefore there is no risk of exposure, and Google Authenticator does not depend upon any cellular, wifi, or Internet connection. The secure authentication mechanism is based on a time-driven protocol, so the PIN code is calculated separately and independently by both the server and the Google Authenticator mobile app.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete setup. The steps will differ, depending on the 2FA method you have chosen.
SMS (text messages) can be unreliable due to issues beyond our control, such as carrier network congestion. For this reason, we recommend using Google Authenticator as the primary verification method.
If you have already chosen Text Message as your 2FA method, contact your team administrator, who will be able to reset your selection.
If you have lost the device you use for 2FA or wish to set up your Workplace authentication on a different device, you will reset your 2FA as follows:
- Click the Reset 2FA button.
- Click Reset in the confirmation popup.
- Complete the steps described in Manage your two-factor authentication method, above.
|Forward this topic to others|